[edm-discuss] A request for educational analytics knowledge

  • From: Stephen Fancsali <sfancsali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:21:45 -0400

[on behalf of Israel Kloss]

Hello EDM Community,
I just found this list and I'm pretty excited.

We just secured 2 grants to try to answer the question "Does Remote Computer
Training Help Expand STEM Enrollment in East Africa? If So, How?" However this
research is flexible and the funding is allowing for a wide scope changes
in the research after our early data collection period.

Full story on the project:
http://bostinno.streetwise.co/all-series/boston-college-mba-brings-massive-open-online-learning-to-east-africa/<http://bostinno.streetwise.co/all-series/boston-=college-mba-brings-massive-open-online-learning-to-east-africa/>

So having created 1 computer lab in Kenya and having expanded another in Ta=
nzania, I'm currently configuring the new machines to send over and I need =
to capture data at the individual student level. I think you will steer me =
in the correct direction.

Currently I can think of 5 methods of this testing and tracking student com=
puter training progress

1)     Rescue Time -- https://www.rescuetime.com

2)     VMWare Apache server monitoring -- https://solutionexchange.vmware.c
om/store/products/apache-web-server-monitoring-plugin-hyperic

3)     The Google Analytics (ModPagespeedEnableFilters insert_ga) feature of
Apache (the training will take place on the Apache Web Server --https://d=
evelopers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/filter-insert-ga)

4)     Evergage.com (we are being given a free account to use)

5)     Smarterer.com for testing (they have an API which I can use free so I
can "data stitch" test scores across a host of individual students analytics
data: usage/time on page/homework completion/other metrics)

My question: Am I recreating the wheel when I can just download an educational
copy of Blackboard or another online testing solution that will measure
student testing analytics (web development analytics) for me?

Thanks,

Israel Kloss
Web Designer/Developer, Online Communications & Marketing
Office of University Advancement
Cadigan Alumni Center
Boston College
617-552-9182