[eclipse-arduino-dev] Re: arduino eclipse plugin

  • From: Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eclipse-arduino-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 13:51:29 +0200

Marcelo

Please don't pardon :-)

There has been quite some discussion about the name yet. Here is some history for you.

Historically it has been named "Arduino Eclipse Plugin" as it used to be only a plugin and because nobody bothered as we never realized it would ever be as big as it is today.

Then Wim added the product. Which makes the name "Arduino Eclipse Plugin" "no longer to covers the cargo" (sorry don't know the Englsh expression)

Then there is the casing (which -at simple request of Wim ;-) - I will not cover)

During the discussion with Eclipse legal it was mentioned that the name might not be confirm trademark ruling. Basically legal advises to make our own name product name.

Legally Eclipse allows "eclipse edition" and Arduino does not really specify what is allowed for software. But for boards "for Arduino" is allowed but "XXX Arduino" is not.

IMHO "Eclipse for C++" is actually CDT which stands for "C++ development tools" like JDT stands for "Java development tools". In that trend we could call it ADT "Arduino Development tools" or MDT (MCU) or IDT (iot).

Personally I do not really like this 3 letter abbreviation words. But I'm democratic guy ....

One of the reasons I like "Arduino IDE eclipse edition" (but I am not crazy about it) is that we could make "IDE" and "edition" really small (far smaller that you have made them on the splash) so it still looks like "Arduino eclipse" as on the current splash. So that would make the official name "Arduino IDE eclipse edition", "Arduino Eclipse" in short.

I think these are the headline of the current name discussion

Best regards

Jantje

On 14-05-16 19:22, Marcelo Limori wrote:

Pardon the interruption, but wouldn't be more logical Eclipse Arduino Edition? You don't have C++ Eclipse Edition, you have Eclipse for C++.

    LMAO(BW)

    On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:20 AM, Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:jan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        ROFL