[eccotalk] Re: [eccotalk] Fw: Action required: Petition “Make it clear that an independent Scotland would have no control over the Pound.”

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:19:26 +0000

Interesting, and perfectly true, but not something I want to sign up to.

Scotland could end up with the pound as Greece has ended up with the Euro. However, Scotland's economy is much more robust than Greece's - oil or no oil. Even so my view would be that the much stronger English and Welsh economy would drive the currency. The answer for Scotland if the pound was dragging Scotland in a direction it does not like (which could be good or bad, just like the politics driving the new referendum demand) could be to join the Euro. The Republic of Ireland did just this, pegged to sterling until 1979 when Ireland joined the EMS (which the UK infamously did not fully join until 1990, precipitating Black Wednesday). The EMS was effectively a precursor to Ireland joining the Euro in 1998.

Gordon

On 14/03/17 13:46, Mike and Jan Andrews wrote:

Hi all

I have initiated a petition to Parliament but need at least five people to sign it by clicking on one of the links below. (Please let me know if you have signed, by replying to this email).

Regards

Mike