[eccotalk] Re: Looking for a builder - ideally environmentally aware

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 08:33:20 +0000

NIck,

Cannot recommend a builder as I do this sort of thing myself, but this does mean I have 35 years experience with Victorian/Edwardian houses and so can lend a practical eye to what sort of issues you may have.

First step: The surveyors report is not worth the paper it is printed on - you need the critical eye of someone who understands how old houses actually work (or don't work in the case of retrofitting).

Cheers,

Gordon

On 12/12/16 22:15, nick nuttgens wrote:

Hello all,

Jamie and I are looking for a builder to look round our prospective new house and quote for work that needs doing, in line with the surveyor's report and our own ideas. (We'd like to pay somebody to do this as a discrete job, although it may be that it leads on to doing the actual work.)

I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a good builder?

Ideally, it would be someone who could not only give us sound general advice but who also understood about retrofitting houses to a high standard, even to the Passiv Haus standard. Although that’s not probably going to be possible for us, we would like to see whatever works we can afford to do as the first stage in a longer term Passiv Haus programme.

Best wishes,

Nick

*Nick Nuttgens*
07403 494696