[eccotalk] Fwd: We Now Use What3words To Help Locate People In Need Of Assistance 18/06/2019 13:23:51 [274660]

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ECCO Talk <eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:01:52 +0100

Now this could be useful!

South Yorkshire Police Alerts
South Yorkshire Police Alerts Logo <https://www.sypalerts.co.uk>

South Yorkshire Police <http://www.southyorks.police.uk>

Message Type Icon <https://twitter.neighbourhoodalert.co.uk/images/msgTypes/Mt28P4.jpg>

   We Now Use What3words To Help Locate People In Need Of Assistance

We wanted to tell you about some new location technology our call handlers are using to help find people who need our assistance, but might not know where they are.

It’s called ‘what3words’ and it has divided the globe into 3m x 3m squares and given each one a unique 3 word address. *///lower.belong.levels* for example, will take to you a precise spot near to the River Don in Rotherham.

The technology means our call handlers can send a text including a link to the what3words browser site, and whoever has called us can see their location, and read out the corresponding three words.

We can then dispatch help to the right place.

There is also a what3words app, which if downloaded, means the caller can provide us with their location instantly.

The app works offline, so it’s ideal for use in rural areas with unreliable data connection.

Joe Harwood, Atlas Court Dispatcher, explains when what3words could be used: “Emergencies can happen anywhere, in the middle of the countryside, or in a confusing urban area that you can’t describe in any great detail. These are the scenarios when we can turn to what3words and save precious time.”

There have already been some incredible success stories from forces across the country.

In West Yorkshire, what3words has been used to pinpoint the location of serious road traffic collisions and Humberside Police located a vulnerable domestic abuse victim.

Superintendent Bob Chapman, Head of Force Communications, said: “There are occasions where we get calls from people, who have found themselves in emergency situations with no idea where they are. This technology is a fantastic, additional tool that we can use to quickly and efficiently locate people who need our help.”

Chris Sheldrick, co-founder and CEO of what3words, added: ‘Being in need of urgent help and not being able to easily describe where you are can be very distressing for the person involved and a really difficult situation for emergency services. Today people nearly always have their phone on them. We need to use the tools at our disposal to improve public services and potentially save lives.”

You can visit the what3words map site here <https://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/umbraco/map.what3words.com>

Read more about how what3words is helping the emergency services here <https://what3words.com/emergencyservices/>

See how what3words was used for a real 999 call here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtmcSGCUHI&t=2s>

*/Message Sent By/*
Corporate Communications4 (Police, Corporate Communications, South Yorkshire)

<https://www.neighbourhoodalert.co.uk/pa/588abd98a44b6a1f5d49754f562d6e2e>

Neighbourhood Alert <https://www.neighbourhoodalert.co.uk> Cyber Essentials <https://www.neighbourhoodalert.co.uk/CyberEssentials>

Please note that this message was sent by South Yorkshire Police.

This e-mail communication makes use of a "Clear Image" (gif) to track results of the e-mail campaign. If you wish to turn off this tracking for future e-mails, you can do so by not downloading the images in the e-mail itself.