[eccotalk] Re: Botanical Gate Community Group meeting about parking permits

  • From: "Judith Dodds" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jude.dodds" for DMARC)
  • To: eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 22:57:19 +0000

Hi

James has made his case very clearly.

This is an issue that we in ECCO should certainly pick up again,

Jude

On 25/03/2019 20:20, James Sutherland wrote:

Hi everyone

I’m sorry I can’t make the meeting this week regarding car parking around the ECCO forum area due to a family birthday. I like most of us do worry (and indeed stress) about the daily challenges each of us faces attempting to park cars in resident spaces we have paid for.

Earlier this year I decided to contact Sheffield City Council to make a freedom of information request which was quite enlightening…...

I requested to find out:

* 1. The Council’s estimate of the number of car parking spaces on the roads of Rossington Road, Newington Road and Everton Road.*

**

* 2. The total number of permits issued on the roads of Rossington Road, Newington Road, Everton Road and numbers 78-92 Brocco Bank.*

**

* 3. Number of properties issued 3 or more permits.*

*QUESTION 1:*

"In relation to the estimation of the number of car parking spaces, the Council’s Traffic Regulation Order System states the following lengths of bays:

Rossington Road 137m & 129m

Newington Road 122m & 99m

Everton Road 99m & 174m

_/TOTAL:  760m/_

The Council’s transport scheme design team uses an average length of 5.5m when planning the amount of bays.” //

/Therefore,  760 Divided by 5.5 (average vehicle length) = 138 spaces based on the Council’s own calculations./

*
*

*QUESTION 2:*

"In relation to the number of car parking permits issued the Council reports the following number of resident permits have been issued:

Rossington Road 58

Newington Road 36

Everton Road 60

78 – 92 Brocco Bank 6"

_/TOTAL:  160 resident permits issued/_

*QUESTION 3:*

"No properties can be allocated more than 3 parking permits.

X3 properties on Rossington Road have 3 permits

X1 property of Newington Road has 3 permits

X1 property on Everton Road has 3 permits

No properties (78-92) Brocco Bank have 3 permits"

*
*

*IN SUMMARY:*

Based on the Council’s own figures and on the sample size requested it is clear the council have over sold and over subscribed on resident parking permits, *granting approximately 22 permits more than there is physically space for!!!*

This is without considering the additional impact of the Brocco on the Park hotel and restaurant which certainly on Rossington Road places additional pressure on the parking permits.  Ordinarily this would be a problem outside of the parking restriction times, however, I have all too often seen people attending the hotel/restaurant parking on Rossington Road with blatant disregard to resident’s parking being in effect.  I am supportive towards the hotel for the positive image it portrays and this is by no means a criticism of the staff and management of the hotel as this situation is beyond their control.

*MY QUESTIONS/OBSERVATIONS:*

*1. *Why is the resident’s parking restriction time limited to up until 6pm when to attempt to manage the parking situation 24/7 restrictions are needed to attempt to supply sufficient parking for the resident permits issued?

2. How do the Council plan to take action to more appropriately match the number of allocated parking bays to the actual capacity?

3. Why do students receive a discount for resident parking permits?Many students are resident in Sheffield for the bulk of the year and we do not offer discounts on factors such as road tax, so why should parking be any different?

4. Given there is a clear oversubscription of parking spaces at this time, would it be sensible for the non-residential parking spaces at the bottom of Rossington Road and Newington Road to be converted into resident only parking to attempt to manage the shortage of capacity that has been created by the Council issuing too many resident permits?

Once again, sorry I am unable to make the meeting and also for the length of this email but hopefully the information may be of use and also makes interesting reading for those of us frustrated with struggles to find car parking spaces at times.

Kind regards

James

James Sutherland
Director
84 Brocco Bank    Sheffield  S118RS

W:muybien.co.uk <http://muybien.co.uk>E:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

M:07740 339 424T:@muybienuk

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments..

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free. Muybien does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses.

Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by Muybien  for operational or business reasons..

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of Muybien is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed byMuybien.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 19:42, Gwen Wilson <wilsongw123@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:wilsongw123@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I intend to attend.

Gwen

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM Mike and Jan Andrews <botanic88@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:botanic88@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi all

    You may remember that a nearby community group (BGCA) wanted to
    hold a meeting concerning Parking Permits on 20th February. It
    was cancelled because the councillor concerned couldn't attend.

    BGCA have arranged another meeting for Wednesday 27th March at
    8.00 pm at the Well on Ecclesall Road. Cllr Neale Gibson should
    be there. I've been told that he is now responsible for parking
    permits.

    ECCO members are invited, but please reply to this email or let
    me know somehow if you are fairly sure you want to come. This is
    important because BGCA needs a good idea of the numbers.

    Also please remember that we are only invited to deal with the
    specific issue of parking permits, not to air our grievances
    about everything else!

    Mike