[ebooktalk] Re: WORLD WAR i WAS MY DEAR I WANTED TO RECOMMEND A BOOK

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:29:23 +1100

Thank you both. I think I must read both the Ben Elton and Susan Hill books.
I have interviewed Ben but never read him.

There are many Australian books covering the first war; they vary widely in
quality and bias.

I have only dipped into "A Rose for the ANZAC Boys" by Jackie French but
know Trish has read it and loved it. It's on my list.

Her follow-up book, "The Donkey Who Carried the Wounded" I again read parts
of in preparation for an interview. Both for young adult readers. She did
tell me that she could not have written it had the donkey not survived.

My favourite, however, has to be "Barbed Wire and Roses" by Peter Yeldham. A
very powerful story. Peter is a lovely man; I don't like everything he has
written but he is blessed with the gift of portraying his women characters
well. Many authors do, of course, but not all.

Take care,

Elaine