[ebooktalk] This Bleeding City.

  • From: "Shell" <shell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 10:39:51 +0100

This was a new author to me and I wouldn't normally have picked up a book who's
story was focused on the financial world.  However, I really got into it and
was consumed by my loathing for Charlie in the end. I started out willing him
on to realize that there was more to life than money and the shallow people he
surrounded himself with. Once he'd met Jo, I felt he was going to turn a
corner, but when he slept with Vero again, I could have rung his neck. After
that, I just wanted something horrible to happen to him. It was very satisfying
when he ended up with nothing at the end.
The financial side of the book was interesting too, as it never became too
bogged down. I don't understand financial dealings in the least, which is why I
generally shy away from the subject in a novel, however it was well written and
gave a very good feeling of what it must be like to work in such places.  Henry
got on my nerves a bit too though, he just seemed to be everyone's sap and when
he went to live the unrequited puppydog life for Vero at the end I was quite
disgusted. I don't know what they all saw in her, she was revolting!
Anyway, I really enjoyed it and will definitely read more of his books.