[ebooktalk] Re: Thermoform.

  • From: "Linda Welding" <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:36:37 +0100

Hi clare and all

I'm not sure whether the story of somebody dying through over exposure to thermoform is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are carcinogens in the plastics - if not nowadays, perhaps in the past.

Like some of you, I still have my carol book of thermoform sheets. I even kept my geography maps of South America and Australia. The rest of my form thought I was mad for keeping the maps, but I still look at them occasionally. The staff at school were much better at producing maps than the RNIB. I can remember one teacher even using it to create a picture from The Little Prince, and one to show us the Greek letters.

Way before braille embossers, a lot of the books from the prison braille transcription units were issued in thermoform and I also remember receiving a few from the students' library.

Linda