[ebooktalk] SOME FAIRLY RECENT MEMORABLE READS

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:41:54 +0100

One good thing about buying books for the Kindle is that you have a record of
everything you've bought and, presumably read.  during 2012 the proofreader who
worked on the magazine I ran recommended I Know This Much Is True by Wally
Lamb.  It's the story of the relationship between two brothers and how their
lives become entwined.  It's also the history of a family, and I absolutely
loved it.

A more contemporary read from around the same period was Capital by John
Lanchester.  This revolves around the lives of the inhabitants of one road in
south London. Many of the characters felt familiar to me although the road was
rather more up market than the one I live on in West London.  The book explores
issues including the politics of envy, wealth and its consequences and what it
feels like to be a foreigner in Britain today.

I'd recommend both these books to people who enjoy getting lost in a story and
its world.