[ebooktalk] SHORT STORIES

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:11:02 +0100

Hello

I have just finished The Country Before Us, The Country Behind Us by David
Gutterson. It is a fairly small collection of short stories. I thoroughly
enjoyed reading the stories but as often happens with short stories I am
left feeling unsatisfied. Firstly I don't know why the book has this title -
it was not one of the stories and there did not seem to be a particular
theme running through them that related to the title. Many of the stories
were very good and worked fine. A couple of them felt like outlines for
something more substantial.

As a reading experience it just feels as if there is something missing - not
a complete book.

With an anthology of short stories by different authors I am happy to read
one story and that is it. It seems complete. When an author creates a book
of stories I feel I need to read the book and expect it to add up to a
complete entity but in this case - and many others - this doesn't seem to
happen. The individual stories don't seem to stand on their own.

Steve