[ebooktalk] Re: "Room"

  • From: "Trish Talbot" <trish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:35:04 +0100

Pele,
I can understand you feeling unsettled about two people being confined in a small room, though I found the way that Jack's world had developped within the room's confines quite fascinating. I was relieved when they finally escaped, and think that the man's motives for abducting the girl weren't that crucial to the story, although I don't think they were difficult to guess. For me, the second half of the book, after the release, centred on the contrast of emotions experienced by the two main characters - for Jack it opens up a new, and rather frightening world, and he has a hankering to go back to the security of "Room", while for his mum it is a wonderful release from years of being imprisonned, and going back to the room, even for a visit, revolts her. One of my friends, when we read it for our book group, disliked it because she didn't feel an adult woman writer had the right to presume how the mind of a five-year-old boy would think in such a situation. Perhaps she had a point. I'd love to know what kind of psychological research Donaghue did prior to writing the novel.

Trish.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Pele West" <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>