[ebooktalk] Other recent reads.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 08:50:13 +1000

Just catching up with the list of other recent reads. Not Ian's espionage,
sadly; I gave up the world of spying long ago as I always get in a total
tangle about who is on whose side and why, apart from Alan Bennett's "A
Question of Attribution" but that's different.

Recently continued my L. M. Montgomery fest by re-reading, "Anne of Avonlea"
and reading "Jane of Lantern Hill"; thank you, Clare. Have begun "Pat of
Silver Bush".

Also read, "A Candle for St. Jude" by Rumer Godden. A strange little
offering but kept reading it.

Tried and failed with "Too Close to Home" by Georgia Blain an "The Ancestor
Game" by Alex Miller. Have read both authors before. Georgia's "Closed for
Winter" is grim and powerful, Alex Miller's "Lovesong" is, I feel, the best
thing he has ever written.

Finally, tried and failed with Dickens' "The Mystery of Edwin Drood"; just
didn't like it though could still see the C.D. spark. The one exception was
a character created out of malicious glee. Dickens hated what he saw as
professional philanthropists, particularly of the "Aren't I wonderful?"
Pharisee-like persuasion. I stayed with Drood long enough to meet the
deliciously awful larger and louder-than-life Luke Honeythunder. What a
name.

Have begun both the Motown book and the latest Sarah Dunant but am also
reading "The Language of Others" by Clare Morrall.

Enough for a Sunday morning.

Elaine