[ebooktalk] NEW AUDIO DEVELOPMENT

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:08:02 +0100

It occurred to me that I don't think I ever reported back to this list on the
bone conducting headphones I was sent for review.  they're branded as
Aftershokz and were apparently developed out of military technology.  It's
obviously important for a soldier to be aware of what's going on around him as
well as having to pick up communications from his radio.  These phones sit, not
on or in or over your ears, but on the cheekbone just in front of them.  The
sound is then conducted from the cup through the bone and into your ear canal.
This is thought to be particularly useful for blind people who need to use GPS
while out and about but also need ears to alert them to things happening in the
environment.  Sounds like a good idea?  The only problem is that the quality of
the repro from the headphones is not very good.  Also having the sound
delivered in this way does something odd to the stereo image.  So for music,
for instance, they're really disappointing.  Also I do much of my listening in
very noisy environments and, even with these turned up full, they just don't
have the poke I need.  However, one use I have found for them is at work and
other meetings.  If I use them with my computer - as I am now with my MacBook -
I can type away but still here what's happening around me in the office.  I've
also used them in governor's meetings at my son's school where, using my iPhone
and Braille display to make notes, I can listen through the phones while
remaining aware of what's going on in the discussion.  So I'd definitely
recommend them to anyone who does a lot of listening to speech synth while
using computers and other gadgets.  They sell for around fifty quid.  Google
Aftershokz (Note spelling).