[ebooktalk] My dear and...

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:09:12 +1100

Ian, I have heard of Wally Lamb but not read him. Thank you for the
recommendation.

There are so many World War 1 books it is difficult to say why "My Dear"
stands out, but stand out it most certainly does.

Like "Birdsong" before it, it begins well in advance of the war though it is
without the post-war reconstruction.

Life in the trenches, life in London, work of the V.A.D.s, the birth of
plastic surgery; class divisions and snobbery, inverted and otherwise. A
real tapestry of a book and with characters whose futures become a matter of
importance. It also looks at the psychology and impact of war to those
involved and those at home. ... And that is probably underselling it.

I have already read it twice.

I cannot say if it will appeal to you but you lose nothing by trying.

Good luck,

Elaine