[ebooktalk] Re: Migration and language.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:18:48 +1000

Hello Steve,

The myth about "Most" Australian convicts being transported for minor crimes
contains many grains of truth, enough to be plausible, but is by no means
the whole story.

Yes, many were sent out to the colonies for stealing a loaf of bread and it
is true capital crimes were often what we would consider very minor today.

It is also a politically correct and convenient assumption. Before 1988 and
the Australian bicentenary, it was deemed not quite de rigueur to have a
convict among one's forbears. Suddenly, with the bicentennial celebrations,
everybody who was anybody wanted one. A close friend and one of the
country's leading genealogists at the time, (sadly no longer with us), was
given many a family tree to trace in the hope of finding just such an
ancestor.

Some of the crimes unearthed were not of the type you would wish to discuss
with Grandma. One Sydney society lady was ecstatic to discover that she was
indeed descended from convict stock but less delighted on learning that his
crime, well, linked the words carnal knowledge and sheep!

Many Irish dissidents were sent out here for causing political unrest. The
Tollpuddle Martyrs were each sentenced to 7 years' transportation - the
significance of their so-called crime is still debated today - though all
but one were pardoned after a huge petition was presented to Parliament. The
one not pardoned already had a criminal record.

Those whose crimes were deemed more serious were more likely to be sentenced
to transportation for life. Hence Dickens' portrayal of Abel Magwitch in
"Great Expectations" I should imagine.

There are many Irish influences as well as Cockney and others in the
colloquialisms used here. Not to mention aboriginal and cultural influences:
sun-bathing is referred to as sun-baking, for obvious reasons, and many
place names are either Aboriginal, unoriginal or named after someone famous.
(Examples on request.)

Incidentally, films about the Kelly gang were discussed here some weeks ago.
I discovered (in a book) yesterday that the first one, (silent), was
announced in December 1906 so probably came out the following year or
shortly thereafter.

Sorry this is so long and waffly.

Take care,

Elaine