[ebooktalk] Re: MY DEAR I WANTED TO RECOMMEND A BOOK

  • From: "Trish Talbot" <trish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:47:05 -0000

Ian, Thanks for the recommendation. Wally Lamb is a writer who is starting to interest me a lot, and the one you recommend sounds worth trying.

Right, here goes:
"My Dear, I wanted To Tell You" is mostly set in the first world war, and is concerned primarily with two men, one who is from a working class background and works his way up through the ranks to become a captain, the other who is from an upper class background, and with those close to them. Although there is a great deal of description of conditions in the battlefields, it is centred on the feelings and emotions of the two men and their troops, while also telling of the feelings, frustrations and daily lives of those left behind - a wife who struggles to cope without guidance from her husband, a girl who thought her relationship with her boyfriend was secure, but finds things are not quite as she thought, and a woman who throws herself into nursing. The book has some graphic descriptions of plastic surgery as it is carried out in the war years, and of the patients who undergo the treatment, and one patient's struggle afterwards to live a "Normal" life.

That's the best I can do, and I probably haven't done it justice, but as everyone on this list is well aware, it is one of my favourite books, and was certainly the best thing I read in 2012.
Trish.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Macrae" <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>