[ebooktalk] Re: MY DEAR I WANTED TO RECOMMEND A BOOK

  • From: "Tar Barrels" <tar.barrels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:24:30 -0000

Ian, thanks for this recommendation. John Irving is one of my favourite
writers - I love his quirkiness - so I'll definitely be adding this to my
list.

At the moment I am almost at the end of 2 book group books. The first is an
Audible version of Simon Armitage reading his account of his walk along the
Pennine Way, from north to south. The best part of it for me is revisiting
places that I know well and love, the worst part is his reading. It's not
quite a monotone, but almost. I need t finish this by Thursday, but I'm not
sure if I'll make it through without slashing my wrists!! His delivery is
turning what is essentially a nice but not exceptional piece of travel
writing into something of an endurance test. Another complaint I have is
that I'm now over halfway through and there has only been one poem!

The other book I'm reading is by another poet, P J Kavanagh's The Perfect
Stranger. This is also in the vein of s travelogue, but the style is quite
different and the writing is more compelling. He eventually teamed up with
the daughter of Rosamunde Lehmann, who unfortunately dies, leaving him
wondering if he could ever love again - which of course he does! I'm really
enjoying it, and perhaps it's because of the time in which it is set, but
the writing reminds me a little of Graham Greene's The End of the Affair.

The Kavanagh is a title from our postal book group made up from members of
another list that includes Clare and Eve - and I'm sure they can keep the
secret of the title. The next book on its way to me is Somerset Maugham's
The Painted Veil - I haven't read him for about 30 years, so that will be
interesting. Not every member of the list takes part in the postal book
round. Those who do choose a book, not exceeding 200 pages, and every two
months it is circulated to the next person on the list accompanied by a
notebook with everyone's comments on the book. I know Clare has taken part
in this in the past, and this is my second time. It's like Christmas when
the book arrives, the title having been kept a closely guarded secret.

June