[ebooktalk] Re: Learning and teaching Braille.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:27:04 +1000

Thank you, Clare; I feel vindicated and as angry as you are; didn't know
that about Braille music but should not have been surprised. It just fills
me with impotent fury!

Yes, I slow down when reading aloud, too, though not always consciously.

Chris often likes to watch telly or a DVD when we're having a sandwich or
something. I won't read on the BrailleNote while eating so often read a
Braille book if the telly is of no interest.

This also reminded me of when someone out here developed - before computers-
a sort of immediate transcription device; the Perkins sat on top of it and
as you wrote in Braille, it produced a print copy. Mine came out only
semi-literate and they told me I had obviously made mistakes. I hadn't; I
wrote too quickly for the device. I was also accused, light-heartedly, of
having a recording of someone brailing in my room and playing it back at
double-speed when training with my second Guide dog; they had never heard
anyone write so quickly here.

Okay, David, sorry; the very tenuous connection with books is that my very
first short stories were composed using a Perkins and one of the poems made
it into an anthology in 2007.

Elaine