[ebooktalk] Re: LANGUAGE QUESTION

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:51:16 +0100

Client and Trick both refer to the individual customer they are not generic
terms for their customers. Trick, in fact, can be applied to the act itself
as in the phrase "She turns tricks." Johns is the only term I have found
used in the plural and while it is generally an American term it does seem
to have it origins in Britain. A 17th century whore mistress in Portsmouth
is said to have advised her girls not to ask the names of sailors but just
call them all John.

Perhaps one of the ladies in our company last night was right when she said
the correct term should be "Sad individuals." She went on to say "you only
have to be reasonably pleasant for a couple of dates to get it for free."

And, in case you're wondering, the conversation that started this was about
George Bernard Shaw. A local Amateur drama group is considering putting on
Mrs Warren's Profession.

Steve