[ebooktalk] J K Rowling

  • From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 07:35:43 +0100

Hi all

A few months ago I read an audio book called "The cuckoo's Calling" by
Robert Galbraith.  I wrote about it on this list, and I believe I decoded it
from Audible for anyone to read.  It now transpires that J K Rowling wrote
this book under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith.  This is from today's
Indipendent newspaper.

JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, secretly penned a crime
novel which became a rave-review bestseller without readers realising she
had written it.

The Cuckoo's Calling, a story about the mysterious death of a model falling
from a balcony which is probed by a war veteran turned private investigator,
won universal praise from critics when it came out in April.

It was released by Sphere, part of the Little Brown publishing, and marked
as a debut novel from 'Robert Galbraith'.

Ms Rowling told the Sunday Times that she had hoped the true identity behind
her pen name 'Robert Galbraith' would have been concealed for longer.

"Being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience," she said.
"It has been wonderful to publish without hype and expectation and pure
pleasure to get feedback under a different name."

The book's listing on Little Brown's website confirms that Galbraith is a
pseudonym. The biographical details say the writer spent seven "several
years with the Royal Military Police".

The 450 page novel has been likened to the works of prolific crime fiction
writers Ruth Rendell and PD James.

Ms Rowling was under pressure after the worldwide success of the seven Harry
Potter stories when she published her novel for an adult audience, The
Casual Vacancy, last year.

It received a mixed critical reception, but claimed good sales and has been
chosen for a BBC adaptation.