[ebooktalk] Re: Introduction.

  • From: "CJ & AA MAY" <chrisalis.may@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:25:19 +0100

What an interesting bunch you all are!
Alison

-----Original Message-----
From: ebooktalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ebooktalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ian Macrae
Sent: 25 April 2013 20:05
To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ebooktalk] Re: Introduction.

OK, here's my potted biog.

I was born in gateshead, the oldest blind child of blind parents.  I went to
the school we all knew as Benwell Dean which was where my Mam had been
educated and then to RNC rowton Castle just outside Shrewsbury which was
where I met and later became friends with our estimable list founder.
Having trained as a teacher in Buckinghamshire I failed to get a classroom
job but ended up working in a community education project on tyneside.  My
freelance broadcasting career started with occasional contributions to In
touch and then lead to to local radio and TV presenting.  After 12 years as
a freelance I moved to london to take up a producer's job with BBC TVs
Disability Programmes Unit where I eventually became the Editor.

  In 2007, following spells back in network radio production and other less
glamorous areas of the beeb, I became Editor of the magazine Disability Now,
which is now no longer a print publication but a thriving, vibrant and
dynamic website.  I live in Ealing West London with my wife Sarah and our
two children.  I have another older daughter from a previous relationship.
Like elaine, I've met, interviewed and known many varied kinds of author
over the years from Joseph Heller to Barbara Taylor Bradford.  My favourite
of all was the lovely Alan Plater.
On 25 Apr 2013, at 17:58, CJ & AA MAY wrote:

> I am sorry. I never thought to introduce myself as I hadn't realised
> there were so many people unknown to me. So, in brief:
> I am Alison May and retired two years ago after 27 years as a Rehab.
> Worker and Team Leader with Kent Association for the Blind.
> I am celelbrating my 30th wedding anniversary this July with Chris,
> who took Voluntary Early Release from the Ministry of Defence Police last
December.
> I attended a sighted primary school and a partially sighted junior
> school before going to Linden Lodge when I was 10 following being
> registered as blind. I then trained as a braille shorthand typist at
> RNIB Pembridge Place before working for various companies in a
> secretarial capacity. , one of which being for Social Services, which
> lead to me being employed as a Technical Officer for the Visually
Impaired. .