[ebooktalk] Re: Introduction.

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:05:06 +0100

OK, here's my potted biog.

I was born in gateshead, the oldest blind child of blind parents.  I went to
the school we all knew as Benwell Dean which was where my Mam had been educated
and then to RNC rowton Castle just outside Shrewsbury which was where I met and
later became friends with our estimable list founder.  Having trained as a
teacher in Buckinghamshire I failed to get a classroom job but ended up working
in a community education project on tyneside.  My freelance broadcasting career
started with occasional contributions to In touch and then lead to to local
radio and TV presenting.  After 12 years as a freelance I moved to london to
take up a producer's job with BBC TVs Disability Programmes Unit where I
eventually became the Editor.

  In 2007, following spells back in network radio production and other less
glamorous areas of the beeb, I became Editor of the magazine Disability Now,
which is now no longer a print publication but a thriving, vibrant and dynamic
website.  I live in Ealing West London with my wife Sarah and our two children.
 I have another older daughter from a previous relationship.  Like elaine, I've
met, interviewed and known many varied kinds of author over the years from
Joseph Heller to Barbara Taylor Bradford.  My favourite of all was the lovely
Alan Plater.