[ebooktalk] Re: Going back to children's books.

  • From: Voldi Gailans <vgailans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:08:48 +0100

Hi Pele,

Treasure in the Ruins was another one we had. I remember reading it late at night in bed and finding it very exciting at the time. I think I do remember seeing the capital sign at quite an early age. I also remember at an early age coming across a pocket-size reader, presumably part of a series, called "Truce of Eight", involving an encounter between I think British and German soldiers and struggling to read out loud to a teacher, I think it may have been Miss Slater for those who remember her, constructions like "Ve vill," and not understanding until it was explained.

Best wishes,

Voldi

At 10:10 03/07/2013, you wrote:
Hi Steve

Peter and I were talking about "The Gay Way Series" and other children's
books the other day. I remember being so excited when I was allowed to
read "The Tin Pot House", which was the first book in Stage 1.

I used to love the G R Crosher books, my favourite was "Treasure in the
Ruins". My parents bought some of them for me. My father had to visit
Edinburgh and the people at the Scottish Braille Press were rather
surprised when he came in and bought them.

Does anyone remember the Beacon Readers? I have a vague memory that some
of them were produced in American braille. I remember the Dot 6 capital
sign, but Peter does not remember this.

Pele