[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: "Tar Barrels" <tar.barrels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:29:13 +0100

IIt's been really enjoyable reading other lists, and I wonder just how much
they would change if asked again next year! I find that my reception and
appreciation of a book does change over time, but the first 3 titles have
remained constant. I've really cheated with the third one because it's about
9 books, all rolled into one series - to my mind they do all need to be read
to fully appreciate the ideas behind them. A friend read them to me nearly
forty years ago, and aspects of them have remained with me. I keep intending
to go through them all again, but havent got round to it yet. So here they
are:

The power ad the glory by Graham Greene = this has everything I want in a
book, starting with its language, craftsmanship, a blinking good story with
a flawed hero, and politics and religion. What's not to like?

Middlemarch by George Eliot - I did this as part of my degree, and have
loved it ever since. It's a book that simmers away, with its story unfolding
slowly. Much of the action can be anticipated - all good Victorian stuff -
but it's the character sketches that draw me in. I find her a compassionate
writer, and that makes me warm to her characters, though I don't necessarily
like them.

Strangers and brothers by CP Snow - this is a series of books beginning in
the 1940's and stretching to the 1970's. They have a backdrop of different
institutions - the law, the civil service, academia - and the politics and
power struggles in each. The common link in the series is the character of
Lewis Eliot, as he matures and inhabits each of those worlds. I have always
found the stories fascinating, not least because I am familiar with many of
the places and institutions mentioned.

The world according to Garp by John Irving - I struggled to know which
Irving to include, but this was so off the wall I even managed to persuade
my husband to read it (and he enjoyed it), though the jury is still out on
whether or not he can actually read! Our last GP used to keep this on the
waiting room shelves, and whenever someone came in a bit down in the dumps,
he'd send them home with it. He used to say he could gauge their level of
bleakness by their response to the book.

Alan Clarke diaries - just such a good read. Politics, sex, bitchiness,
money, religion. And all centred on him - but they are his diaries after
all! I was torn between this and J G Ballard's Super Cannes - another
fantastic read.

If I chose again next month, I'm sure the last 2 - 3 would be different, but
Greene and Eliot would still top the list.

June

Alan Clarke diaries

  _____