[ebooktalk] Re: Answering introduction feedback.

  • From: "Clare Gailans" <cgailans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:54:51 +0100

Hello Elaine,
How could I have forgotten the Secret Garden? It was one of the braille books I owned as a child, and I practically knew it by heart. As an adult I have never had a book collection in braille, apart from my music and Voldi's chess, so I rarely re-read now unless a book group demands it or the spirit otherwise really moves me. I forgot to mention one of my other book loves, which is that over the last six years, since I discovered a list devoted to them, I read a large number of school stories and other children's books, after a lapse of more than 30 years. Some people find this odd, but the internet has revealed a devoted following for such books, and I have begun to collect them in print for scanning, though I now have a huge backlog. Our older girl Geraldine is quite a reader and likes school stories, so I think she will treasure them, and a few are now worth keeping for purely financial reasons, though most I buy are very cheap. You can pay ridiculous money for some authors. I think good children's books are very well written, much better than many an adult best seller. Further to this subject, I finally caught up with War Horse on a long train journey on Saturday. I think Pele recommended it and, like me, she isn't a great animal lover, but I thought it was wonderful and now want to go to see the play, which I think is still on, isn't it? Clare