[ebooktalk] Re: 2 Brothers.

  • From: "Shell" <shell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 07:40:36 -0000

David, I agree that there were some coincidences in the book. Generally one of
my pet hates in a novel, but they didn't seem to annoy me in this book. How the
regime affected Freda's work was interesting too. How she was at first only
allowed to look after other Jews and then not allowed to work from her office.
Her encounters with the artist were also very revealing cropping up throughout
the book. I was glad when he came to a sticky end.
I didn't find the book too long either Trish, I didn't feel it had a lot of
padding and the detail was necessary to get across the feeling of the times. I
kept wondering too which twin had survived and if the other one was really dead
or had written the letter to bring his brother over.
A lot of people must have changed identities at that time.
I also liked all the jazz references and the descriptions of Wolfgang's playing
career in the clubs.  So sad when he couldn't play his trumpet any more and
took it into the river with him.  I could just imagine him standing on the
bridge barely able to blow his last piece.