[duxuser] Re: working with files in different languages

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:27:24 +0100

Hi Teri,

This subject comes up quite often, and can sometimes be tricky to understand.
I'll try my best.

Before you begin to translate your foreign language documents, I would suggest
it is essential that you find out the recommended version of braille for your
particular locale.

For example, here in the U.K., the Braille Authority of the United Kingdom
(BAUK), lay down a special set of rules (usually a basic derivative of Grade 1)
for a particular language.

So, if we wish to translate French text into braille, we actually start with
the a British Template, such as "British No Capitals", and apply the DBT
"french" Style to the French text in our document - even if it is the ENTIRE
document.  Translation is then done according to BAUK rules.

If you are based in North America, you would start your document with Standard
or Text Book, and apply the French or German Style accordingly.

If you were to go to Document, Translation Tables, and select one of those
instead, then translation would be done according to the actual rules for that
country and grade.  In the case of French Grade 2, the untrained student would
be faced with a highly confusing document.  However, it would make perfect
sense to an experience French Grade 2 reader.

As regards full German Grade 2, DBT does not yet have this capability.
However, the Grade 2 French is, or should be, that approved by the Braille
Authorities in France.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd