[duxuser] Re: taking a transcriber cirtificate

  • From: "Paul Ajuwon" <ajuwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:24:51 -0600

Hi Heba:

I am from Africa but now live and  work as a professor of special education
in the United States.

I thought Egypt uses the British system of Grade 2 braille which is widely
used in anglo-Africa, and some arab-speaking countries.

Actually, as a blind child,  I learned and grew up on the British  system of
Braille, before coming to get my university education in the United States
and Canada.

If Egypt uses the British system of Braille, I would   advise you contact
the Royal National Institute for the Blind in London, England, and inquire
about their course for Braille transcribers.

It might  be more beneficial for you  to go through that course than
learning a  system of rules and exceptions  to Braille usage that
characterize the American  Braille system,  most of which are  not relevant
to the British system.

I find that when I go to conduct  Braille training programs in other African
countries, I have to  put aside my American knowledge of rules of Braille
which I use on my job here in the United States.  The American system of
Braille, in reality, has more rules governing its application,  and I find
a rather small number of Americans themselves proficient in its use and
applications because of, among other things,  the availability of assistive
technology which, although extraordinarily expensive, is often paid for
through government rehabilitation agencies and school districts, thus
keeping a rather small number of assistive technology  manufacturers in
business.

Cheers.

Paul.