[duxuser] Re: paragraph formatting (was Re: NEED HELP WITH PARAGRAPH STYLE)

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:05:29 -0000

Hi Steve,

I've had many, many years of what you call the "painfully
tedious process" of tidying up documents getting them ready
to braille.  We get documents from many different people.
And worse still, we get many large documents which have been
put together from other documents produced by different
people.

I've also put many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours into
trying to think up logical ways of streamlining the process.
Even what might appear to be a simple process of replacing
two hard carriage returns with one is fraught with potential
problems.  The worst is probably when you get a hard
carriage return at the end of every single line, and only if
you are lucky, perhaps each paragraph "might" be indented by
specific number of spaces.

Sometimes you have no alternative but to strip a Word
document down to plain text, and re-format it with Styles
from scratch.  This usually requires that a sighted
transcriber prints out a hard copy of the original document,
and works from that.

The ONLY, and I stress "ONLY", way forward, is to try and
educate users to use the program properly, and to do this
you have to use some applied psychology.  The "This will
help me, and make it easier for you too.", is often the best
approach in many cases, and you'd be surprised how helpful
people can be if approached this way.

Our "Word - Top 10 Tips" has been remarkably successful in
this regard.  I can make copies in Word and PDF available if
you think it might help in some cases.

All the best,

George bell.