[duxuser] Re: new member

  • From: David Holladay <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:18:47 -0600

This is a tricky question. MegaDots vs. DBT ...

Having been involved (and very emotionally attached to both platforms), I would say that the two program are optimized for two different kinds of work.

DBT is optimized for someone who knows exactly what they want the braille to do. If the braille does not conform, there is a command there to get it the way you want (and most efficiently at that). Check out the details at http://www.duxburysystems.com/dbt.asp?product=DBT%20Win

MegaDots is designed to automate many time consuming tasks related to textbook production. There are issues relating to the whole DOS vs. Windows thing, but MegaDots still works quite well in the Windows platform. MegaDots 2.3 includes the embossing code from DBT to be able to access "Windows only" embossers from within MegaDots. However, there are some "Windows only" inkprint printers that cannot be run from within MegaDots (mostly inexpensive proprietary inkjet printers).

Did I mention that MegaDots 2.3 has just been released, the first new version of MegaDots since 2002? Check out the information at http://www.duxburysystems.com/megadots.asp

The flexibility and the depth of DBT cannot be matched. The automation of MegaDots is amazing. It is just too bad that we cannot figure out a way to glue the CD-ROMs for these products together to make a "best of" package. With my luck, I would probably just end up with a "worst of" combination.

Seriously, the best way to address the "which shall I pick" issue is to find out if one of the packages has an absolutely "must have" feature that the other does not have. If not, pick the one used by friendly people in your area, so you can help each other learn new tricks for your braille software.

-- David Holladay, part of the development teams for MegaDots and DBT

At 09:32 PM 3/31/2006, you wrote:

I'm new to the list and am contemplating buying either DBT or Megadots. Based on the website descriptions, I can't really decide which one might be better. Well, they're probably both good, but I don't really know what the differences are.

If anyone is familiar with both, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Or, if you really like or dislike one, I'd like to hear that, too.

Jean

* * * * This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting //www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *