[duxuser] Re: Wish list & Re: Re: Command line options for DBT for windows (ver10.4)

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:28:43 -0400

Hi George,

Well I have only got 10.3 and I am almost the only one around here using
Word so, don't get much in Word format so haven't been too interested in
Swift. I do have the list of command line parameters you sent though and
will see what use I can make of it.

I can probably use Swift in the long run but since DBT will import several
formats it would be nice to be able to automate on-the-fly as it were,
braille transcription.

It is probable that really I should be looking for a different product
though, it looks to mi like DBT is more intended for professional
transcription of manuscripts. What I want is something to give me fairly
reliable transcription of agenda, minutes, other supporting documentation,
bits of appointment book, things I can pull off instantly without opening a
variety of applications, executing a series of menu commands, editing and
formatting and all that. I think DBT isn't intended for that sort of use.
HotDots isn't ideal either but using DOS batch files it is possible to
translate, format, global search&replace and even emboss with a single
instruction. 16 year old technology running on a 4.7 MHz 8086 computer with
640 K of RAM, imagine! Now machines run 500 times faster, commonly 40 times
the memory and more or less multitask. Do pardon my nostalgia, things are
clearly better now that there is braille on those drive through security
devices. What ever was I thinking?

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario
dleavens@xxxxxxx
     Home of the Polar Bear Express!