[duxuser] Re: Switching languages

  • From: "Kathy Riessen" <kathy.riessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:04:40 +0930 (CST)

A good explanation George

This topic relates not just to other scripts but many symbols which appear
regularly in documents.

There are 2 sections of the DBT help menu that I find the most useful on a
regular basis. One is the DBT Codes Quick Reference and the other is the
Character lists that George described in his email.

Whether working in Duxbury or Word, these Character lists are my first
port of call, to find out how to insert specific symbols into my
documents. I have found these much more efficient than trailing through
the Insert Symbol box in Word.

Unicode numbers can also be used in Word in the search and replace box,
eg. the multiplication sign is U00D7 so if you want to replace the letter
x with the multiplication sign (because someone sent you a file where they
think the letter x means multiply), in the replace line in Word you can
type 00D7 then alt x. You then ensure correct translation when bringing
the file into Word.

Another trick is, when you know what the Unicode number of a symbol you
are requiring is, and you are not sure whether or not what you have on the
screen is that particular symbol then if you put your cursor just to the
right of the symbol, then press alt-x the Unicode number will display, so
you can double check it.

Like George suggested I keep a list of the common symbols that I come
across, what their Unicode numbers are, and whether they translate
correctly when imported into Duxbury.

Kathy

* as the subject to duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx . You may also
* options by visiting www.freelists.org .  The list archive