[duxuser] Re: Reverse translation software

  • From: David Holladay <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 06:20:07 -0400

I will second George's assessment.

There are many stories of braille scanning systems, but the only actual product I know of is OBR.

Just as Duxbury does not sell embossers (at least right now they are not on the price list), Duxbury does not sell braille scanning systems.

But Duxbury's DBT can translate 130 languages into braille.

For almost all of these languages, there is also a braille-to-print translator as well in DBT. So if you do obtain a braille file (from OBR or another source), you can get inkprint.

Here is a trick that works with our current software. If you have an inkprint DBT file, you can export to "htm file". (Do not select "legacy sgml, html".) Now open Word, and open the htm file you created with DBT. You see a full file with the correct script (Roman letters, Arabic, Korean, Russian, Hindi, etc. are correct in Word). Now save the file in Word, watching the file type carefully. Select native doc instead of htm in Word, and you have a full Word file in whatever script you are using. I am working with Peter Sullivan so the production of inkprint Word files from DBT will be a bit easier than this in the next major version.

You mention Nemeth. As you can imagine, going from math braille to math inkprint is more complicated. I suspect that when there is support for a Nemeth braille to print system in DBT, it will come in the form of a front end to software like Scientific Notebook, which can print math.

I hope we have answered your questions.

-- David Holladay
Duxbury Systems

At 04:46 AM 5/31/2012, you wrote:
I believe what you may have seen is ?OBR? ? ?Optical Braille Recognition?. See link below. I suspect your Texas guys may be dealers.

<http://www.neovision.cz/prods/obr/>http://www.neovision.cz/prods/obr/

George.