[duxuser] Re: New user needs basics

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:12:48 -0000

Hi Ray,

As you are in the UK, why not give us a call?  (01604
792777)

I'm sure we'll be able to get you "kick-started" with some
of the basics, and perhaps a bit more.

I have a visitor with me this morning, but if you ask for
Oggie Jones, he'll also be able to help you.

All the best,

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd

Dawson
> Sent: 11 March 2005 10:25
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Re: New user needs basics
>
> In article <00e001c525e1$8c6473f0$f07a94d1@teri>, Terri
> Pannett <pann1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Duxbury will automatically translate paragraphs
correctly.  But for
> > some reason unknown to me, it offen interprets ASCII
text
> documents as
> > poetry. But the poem code can be deleted.
>
> > Actually, centering text is simple.  Place your cursor
at the
> > beginning of the text to be centered.  Press f8 to bring
up
> the styles list.
> > press h. That should bring you to the heading style.
Press enter.
> > Your text will be centered like a heading.  You don't
have the
> > highlight anything to get the style to work.
>
> Thanks Terri. Perhaps I should explain the way I work at
> present - which is on a different platform to Windows.
>
> Most of the documents I receive for brailling are print
which
> I scan to extract the text.
>
> I then go through the text inserting codes - all of which
are
> on keystrokes - to tell the braille software to centre,
right
> align, or italicise. I can also put a code in front of
> characters which need lettersigns etc.
>
> I then skim through the braille file in computer braille
> remove widows and orphans etc.
>
> It's a very quick process.
>
> However, my current braille software hasn't been supported

> for years and in the UK we have some major changes to
English
> braille. I'm looking for Windows software that has either
> adopted the changes already, or will be in the near
future.
> Neither of the other two braille software packages in the
UK
> intend to make those changes and Winbraille doesn't even
> produce braille to the current English rules.
>
> I was hoping that DBT would be suitable, but so far
haven't
> managed to make it do simple things. I have been through
the
> Help file, but can't find ways of doing simple things. For

> Italic, it says no keystroke. For Centering, highlight and

> press Shift F7. For Right Align it seems to require
separate
> codes inserted, but so far I can only align one word.
> There doesn't seem to be a keystroke for what is a basic
facility.

> I have set up the embosser options for A4 paper 30
chacters
> wide, but the DBT translation comes out at 40 characters.
>
> What I was looking for in the Help, or elswhere was a list
of
> keypresses
> - or the means of setting them up - to do my basic
> requirements. Once I know that DBT can do them I would
> purchase it and progress to using it for Word documents
etc.

> I also haven't yet found a way of adding exceptions and
> changing rules etc. Is there a way of doing this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ray D

> * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com