[duxuser] Re: Nemeth Code in Dux

  • From: "Susan" <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:33:16 -0500

There are a number of things that currently don't translate correctly for
MathType (and Scientific Notebook). I don't have a complete list, but
fractions with the diagonal fraction line and matrices are at the top of the
list. I've also found that it's necessary to use the larger fraction
template (with horizontal fraction line) vs. the smaller fraction template.
I suggest you try out 1 or 2 of a particular type of equation and see if it
translates correctly. I also recommend using only the inline option rather
than the displayed, because the displayed equation will center it on the
page.

If the math doesn't translate correctly (or for spatial math), you can still
insert the math in your Word document if you know ASCII. Just make sure you
change the math to the simbraille font. For those of you who are more
comfortable doing 6-key entry for math, you can use the Power Chord Braille
Keyboard to do 6-key entry within Word. Again, you will have to change the
font to simbraille.

http://touchgraphics.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47

Any time you need to have more than one space between braille cells, make
sure you use Word's hard/nonbreaking space (Ctrl-Shift-Spacebar), which will
insert a symbol that looks like a degree symbol when you can see nonprinting
characters. Note, once the font has been changed to simbraille, the
nonbreaking space will appear as a rectangle (using the newer simbraille
font).

If you are using the BANA 2006 or 2008 template, you can use the Block
Protect codes to help you keep math equations from splitting between braille
pages.

If you are using MathType or Scientific Notebook, please make sure you
report translation errors to Duxbury. It's important to note that older
versions of DBT will have issues the latest version does not have, so
include the DBT version you are using with your report.

Susan