[duxuser] Re: Most efficient medium-size braille embosser.

  • From: "Paul Ajuwon" <ajuwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:05:59 -0500

Folks:

About seven weeks ago, I solicited opinion on the most efficient
medium-sized and affordable Braille embosser.  In addition to the feedback
that came my way from vendors (especially Sighted Electronics and their
admirers), I contacted a national consumer organization in the United States
that undertakes unbiased evaluation of assistive technology devices across
the board.

To ensure that I leave no stone unturned in acquiring all important data, I
talked to select agencies that utilize different Braille embossers to meet
education and rehabilitation needs of consumers.

To cap it all, I have just returned from Power-Up 2006, a two-day assistive
technology conference organized by Missouri Assistive Technology Council,
during which vendors and other stakeholders staged a technology expo, among
other activities.

Bottom line: I truly believe that Braille embossers and supporting software
are generally unaffordable for the average consumer. I hate to contemplate
an era when state governments in the United States will cease to provide
financial assistance to people who are blind to purchase these assistive
devices. As I said to one vendor just yesterday, consumers may have to
exercise their power through a boycott of these products, should such a
situation arise!

Sincerely,

Paul M. Ajuwon, Ph.D.