[duxuser] Re: Jumping to codes with the initial letter

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:14:24 +0100

Hi Ramona,

Things have indeed changed in DBT 10.4.

I forget the exact term for the process, but when you press say the letter c,
it will obviously take you to the start of the alphabetical items beginning
with that letter.

The next (second) letter you press will take you to the beginning of the
section within the c group containing that letter.

Let's say I have a list like:-

butter
cat1
cat2
comp1
comp2
crazy1
crazy2
crowd1
crowd2
dog

If I press c, I will land on "cat1".  If I next press the letter r, it will
jump four items forward to items beginning with "cr" as in "crazy".  If I then
type the letter o, I'll jump to items beginning "cro" as in "crowd".  To get to
"crowd" the old way would require 7 presses of the letter c.

In relatively unpopulated lists, it's not so much of a problem, but in large
lists especially, this is the preferred method.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd