[duxuser] Re: Duxbury braille translation software for beginning teachers

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:12:00 -0400

I could probably write a book about this, but I don't have time.

I think you are using Window-Eyes, which I also use.  What you do depends on
whether you are receiving words from a Microsoft Word file, pasting them into
Duxbury from the Browse Mode buffer of Window-Eyes from a PDF file or web page,
or whether you are typing them into Duxbury's editor.  There is really no
substitute for learning a little about Duxbury's codes and styles.  A first
step is to examine a document in text mode (before braille translation) with
the codes revealed.  Press Alt-F3 to activate the display of codes in the
document you are editing.

You probably want to start with a heading.  I would write the heading, then use
the <h1> level 1 heading style on that line.  If you want a line break within
the heading, between the title and author, perhaps, press ctrl-L at the break
point.  If some of the lines are going to be longer than your embossed braille
line, start the lyrics by pressing ctrl-R, the indented runover command, which
puts a [ptys] (poetry start) code in your document.  Indented runovers continue
until discontinued by a [ptys0] or [ptye] code, which can be chosen from the F5
codes list.  Each line could end with [l] (a conditional line break).  Then
your blank lines can be created in several ways, including ctrl-K
(unconditional line break) which generates a [sk1] skip-line code, or pressing
the Enter key in the editor, which creates a similar unconditional line break
represented by [<].  If you are doing your text entry in Word, you can generate
line breaks (without starting a paragraph) by using shift-Enter, Word's
line-break keystroke.

There are several ways to create a given braille result, and which method you
use depends on which editor you want to work in, as well as the source of your
material to be translated.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.