[duxuser] Re: DBTWin 10.5 and ET embosser

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:02:18 +0100

Hi Gator,

In terms of embossers, with 10.5 Duxbury has seriously begun to wag the
dog's tail, as opposed to the other way round.

That is to say that a much greater effort has gone in to having DBT drive
the embosser, rather than you having to push buttons to configure the device
manually.  This is done by sending appropriate escape codes to the embosser.

Personally speaking (and purely as a dealer) I have believed this is how
things should have worked a long time ago.

The transition has not been without its problems, but in fairness, this has
not always been Duxbury's fault.  It does take considerable patience and
testing to ensure the correct escape codes are sent.

There are many, many makes and models of embosser in use, and to complicate
things further, equally many revisions of embosser firmware.

However Duxbury are very willing to work out any wrinkles that are found.
Indeed in my particular case, we have many of the old Thiel embossers still
in use.  After a number of e-mail exchanges, telephone calls, and
experiments, we have those working at our command from within DBT, and no
longer have to go through hoops to change paper size, etc..

Likewise, we have been able to produce Moon on demand with certain models of
Index embosser, again thanks to a great deal of work and co-operation with
Duxbury and Index.

My general advise these days is, where possible, to use DBT to configure
your embosser, and only use "Generic" or "Generic Interpoint" as a last
resort.

George Bell.