[duxuser] Re: 8-dot Braille

  • From: Tom Whalen <ptkt3860@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi George,
  Thanks for your time. As far as I know word is installed, as I can type a
word document and directly emboss, or sent it to Duxbury, which I rarely do. I
don't know about a default path though. This particular document, I tried to
open from Duxbury as this is my preferred method. It all seemed so easy on
Carroll Tech's video, but as is common in my life, much more complicated when I
put my hands on it. I've manually entered reference pages for years and thought
this would be a great time saver. Another issue related to the same lesson from
Carroll Tech was using the table of contents generator. All I got was the
headings of contents, chapter, and page number, nothing else. This leads me to
believe that something is going on in word that Duxbury isn't recognizing, as
I'm sure the document has the chapter titles marked as heading 1,........ etc.
I would like to pursue this further, maybe I'll contact Duxbury tech support
and see what is involved in constructing the line, as
 I'm illiterate in digging into the Word macros.

  Thanks again,
  Tom

George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Hi Tom,

  I asked a real DBT guru, and he came back with the following.

  George.
    It is likely that DBT isn't finding an installation of MS Word.
  Is Word installed?
  Is is installed to a default path? (That *shouldn't* matter, but shouldn't
doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't".)
  Is the document being embossed/opened from SWIFT?
  This particular issue, when it comes up, is hard to diagnose. What we
generally have to do is to manually construct the command line that DBT is
attempting to use to generate the page map. Then we ask the end user to run
that command line and observe what happens.
  The sad truth is that only Word knows where the page breaks of a Word file
are. So we positively need to run a Word macro to make that happen.