[duxhelp] Re: printing or embossing to a file!!

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:19:06 -0400

Jack,

The process that you went through is more complicated than it needs to be,
even as things now stand.  In particular, it is possible to print to a file
by setting your DBT embosser configuration to print directly to the file,
rather than through a printer driver.  (However, this is not possible in a
few cases, where DBT actually requires a printer driver.)

And, yes, we are working to make this simpler for somebody who has no
embosser.  But, in the end, that problem cannot be solved perfectly.  A true
"print-to-file" will be different for different models of embosser.  If you
have not embosser, and do not specify a particular embosser model, then DBT
really cannot know what you want done.

Chances are that you want to create a ".brf" file, which is essentially the
same as a "print to file" for a Generic embosser.  You can achieve this most
simply by selecting "Save As" in the File menu.  Be sure to change the file
type to "Formatted Braille".  Note, however, that DBT in fact offers you two
choices.  The first choice encodes using the North American ASCII to which
you are well accustomed.  The other choice will encode your file using the
same set of symbols as is used on-screen, which is controlled through
Global, Internationalization.