[duxhelp] Re: insert/overwrite keyboard modes

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:24:03 -0400

Hello George:

Pat's forms cutter has a bar between the tractor rollers that has a
micro-switch on it, that lifts up when the end of the last sheet in a
box of paper passes, thus stopping the forms-cutting process.

Most of the form cutters and bursters on the market use a light
detection system.  so, you have a light on one half of the tractor
feeder and a light detector on the other half and the paper slides
through between them.  The forms-cutting process continues as long as
the light is not detected by the light detector.  The other point to
mention, is that most of these light detection systems tend to be
built into the right hand tractor and because the manufacturers of
these forms cutting and bursting machines do not make provision for
the placement of either the light or the light detector in the left
hand tractor feeder, there is no possibility of changing the
configuration.

The problem arises when you are using paper that has been pre-punched
down one side with wholes for a binder to be inserted.

So, let's say that you have embossed a box of a thousand sheets of
paper and you now want to forms cut, or burst them apart.

You would think that you would put the pin-feed wholes of the last
sheet of the box of paper on the pins of the tractor feeders with the
binding wholes on the left side, would't you.  But, when you do this,
the file ends up being collated backwards.  So, in order to collate
the file the right way, you have to take the top sheet of the top of
the pile and place it on the table and repeat the process until the
order of the pages run in ascending order.

Now, if you were able to put the last sheet of paper on the tractor
feeders with the binding wholes on the right side instead, the sheets
of paper would be stacked and collated in the correct order.  However,
when you try to do this, the light flashes through the passing binding
wholes and is therefore detected by the light detector.  The forms
cutter or burster will either stop immediately or, it will finish
forms cutting or bursting the first sheet and will then stop because
the light has been detected by the light detector.

In summing up, by including a function that would emboss the file from
back-to-front, the file would be collated in the right order when the
stack of paper is either forms cut or burst when the paper is put onto
the tractor feeders with the binding wholes on the left hand side.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber