[duxhelp] Re: Shortcut preferences

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:51:59 -0400

Jack, Émile, and all interested:

This is an especially tricky issue for us, because it involves so many
different things.  Consider that, if you are reading the braille document
using a braille display, all of these transformations must be in order for
this to work properly:

1. The translation from print to braille must work properly.
2. Your screen reader must be set to recognize particular ANSI characters
and render them with particular dot patterns.  This is sometimes called a
code page.
2. Global, Internationalization must be set in DBT so that we antipate the
code page in use by the screen reader.

There is an analogous, but separate set of issues when it comes to driving a
braille embosser, or saving a "raw braille".

Jack has mentioned to me before how the lack of a unified worldwide standard
for raw braille representation can cause confusion.  I suspect that this
issue is just a case in point.  Or, if it's not, then the problem we have is
knowing which one of the transformations in DBT contains the bug.