[duxhelp] Re: Several questions about some codes

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:19:59 -0500

Hello Pascale,

I do have time for one message before my flight out.

[lps] and [lpr] are useful for creating certain biblical formats in which
verse numbers are shown in several cells reserved along the left edge of the
page.  Text beyond the space on the left wraps normally.  A DBT user can
create the desired wrapping by setting a left margin, using the [ind]
command.  Then, the only problem is getting the verse numbers back to the
left edge of the page, well to the left of the left margin.  For this, it is
typical to use [lps] (to save the current place on the page), then [taa1] to
"zap" to the left edge of the page.  After typing the verse number, [lpr] is
used to return to the spot where the next word in the text should be.

Guidewords are words typically found at the top or bottom of a dictionary
page.  The guideword on the left page matches the first entry on that page.
The guideword on the right page matches the last entry on that page.

An "anticpatory page number" is that page number which matches the print
page corresponding to the text at the end of a braille page.  In Australia
and, I believe, the UK, even when print page numbers are shown at the top of
a braille page, they should correspond to print page number for the text at
the end of that page.

The paramters to [vcs] (M:N) are difficult to understand.  Fortunately, they
are not often needed.  To understand them, it is simplest to think of them
as a fraction N divided by M.  So [vcs2:1] could be read as "vertical
center, one-half".  The one half means that the space before the text on
this page will be one-half the of the total count of blank lines.  Likewise
[vcs3:1] (or "vertical center, one-third" means that one-third of the blank
lines will be above the text (two-thirds will be below).  To flip these
proportions, you would use [vcs3:2], so that two-thirds of the blank lines
will be above the text, and one-third will be below it.  Leaving the
parameters out altogether is just like using [vcs2:1], so the text will be
vertically centered.  Using [vcs1:1] aligns all of the text at the bottom of
the page, because all blank lines are placed above the text.

George may be in touch with further details.  (Thanks for jumping in,
George!)  I won't be available for at least the next twenty-four hours.

Best Regards,

Peter