[duxhelp] Re: Search & Replace problem

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:25 -0400

John,

I remember both you and your brother.

Don did make me aware of this issue some time ago, though it never really
caught my attention.  Perhaps I didn't quite get what he was driving at.

I don't believe that working through a remote connection is likely to help
us make progress on this front.  Simply put, there is probably nothing
particular about your system that makes it happen.  I expect instead that
there is something particular about the way you use the program.  Moreover,
if I were to see the defect manifest itself on your system, I'd be unable to
analyze it in any great detail without subsequently replicating on a
computer here.

So I'd like instead to try to replicate it here more directly.

Can you reliably replicate the problem?  If so, please just send me a sample
file and some instructions (to peter@xxxxxxxxxx).

If not, then please let me know what you can about the search and replace
operation(s) that you've seen cause this problem.  In particular:

1. For what were you searching?
2. With what were you replacing it?
3. What options were checked in the dialog.

This information would be a lot more helpful that you might imagine.  With
it, I can set up a similar search and replace here, using a document and
program setup that are designed to stress DBT's design.  This should make it
possible for me to see the problem relatively quickly, even though you might
come across it only now and then.