[duxhelp] Re: Finding and replacing styles

  • From: "Joanmarie Diggs" <joanmarie.diggs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:07:30 -0500

Hmmmm.... Now I'm pondering. :)

The case you mention is not quite what I had in mind.  If a user knows how
to enter the style to find as a style tag, what is the likelihood that
he/she will then turn around enter the replacement style as plain text?
Granted, I've seen stranger user behavior, but my gut is telling me that
this scenario isn't going to happen all that often.  So **for this
scenario** I'd say clean up the error message.

The scenario I'm envisioning is  a bit different.  What if you imported a
document from Word and, due to the default formatting in Word, wound up with
text in Duxbury that was formatted with the paragraph style, but really
should be formatted as text separated by a new line?  In that instance, you
could replace the paragraph style with the code [l] or [<].  So the user
gets into the find/replace dialog, manually enters the style tag, manually
enters the code, and then sees the replace stylename checkbox and has to
decide whether or not to check it.  A reasonable thing, I think, for the
user to conclude is that he/she is indeed replacing a stylename:  The
stylename <para.> is being replaced with the code [l].  That might not be
what the intent of that checkbox is, but the user will check it all the
same. :)  Even if you clean up the error message, our hypothetical user is
not going to understand what the problem is.  So in this case I'd vote for
either option 1 (just do the replace) or option 2 (are you sure you want to
replace your style with this code).

--Joanie