[duxhelp] Re: Error on install

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:10:43 -0500

Michael,

Thanks for following up.

You wrote:
> I would not let the installer silently succeed if an activation location
cannot be determined for some reason.

Do you mean to suggest an added error message when running "msiexec /a" or
when running the installer in the network image?

You also wrote:
> Personally I would not rely on a network assisted install to determine if
this location should be local or remote. This could result in some of these
errors.

It's probably too late for a major change in the way the network
installation is intended to work.  That is, I cannot imagine going back now
and redesigning things to make it so that "msiexec /a" is the normal initial
procedure.  We'd have to set back release by several weeks at least to get
that done.  But I would like to be sure that we're making it easier to find
your way through the correct process -- and therefore harder to make an
error from which recovery is difficult.

When you did the installation initially, I gather that you did things in
this order:
1. Ran "msiexec /a" to create a network installation image.
2. Ran the network installation image on your server or master workstations.
3. Ran the network installation image on one or more workstatations.

Is that right?  I'd simply like to be certain that I'm understanding your
experience correctly.