[duxhelp] Re: Embosser setup woes

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:23:45 -0000

Peter,

> As initially released, every time you switched embossers,
your document format settings would be reset to the maximum
possible for the new embosser.  This drove people nuts.

Accepted, that was a problem.  However............

The original concept, documented in emb.elt, was that there
was a "Recommended" and a "Maximum" setting for lines and
characters.

The intention (from my perspective anyway) was:-

1) That DBT read and loaded the "Recommended" when selecting
a form size.

2) If a user wanted to change the "Recommended", it cross
checked with the "Maximum", and warned if a higher value was
used.

Sullivan
> Sent: 14 March 2005 16:09
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Embosser setup woes
>
> Warren,
>
> I've re-read your original message, and think that I know
> what is going on.
>
> There is nothing in the basic embosser setup dialogs that
is
> supposed to "stick" to the configuration.
>
> Rather, the information in the Global, Embosser Setup
dialog
> is stored such that it will be used whenever a document
> doesn't have other "sticky preferences".  The information
in
> the Document, Embosser Setup dialog sticks to each
document,
> or to each template.
>
> If you change these settings, what you're telling DBT is,
in
> effect: I want *this document* or *all documents without
> other preferences stored* to use, for example, the new
> specified carriage width.  Even if you later redirect an
> existing document to a different embosser, all other
aspects
> of the formatting will stay as close as they can to what
they
> were before the switch.
>
> This is a bit of a change from DBT 10.5 as initially
> released.  As initially released, every time you switched
> embossers, your document format settings would be reset to

> the maximum possible for the new embosser.  This drove
people
> nuts.  Now, when you switch embosssers, your document
format
> settings aren't switched at all, if possible.
>
> If you want to create a series of documents in each of a
pair
> of different format settings, here's a tip: don't set up a

> pair of configurations, but instead create a pair of
> templates.  As designed, we envisioned that you would
create
> a new configuration only if there is actually a second
embosser.

> * as the subject to <duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com