[duxhelp] Re: Embosser setup woes

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:20:15 -0000

Peter, (and Warren)

A "real life" situation has come to a head today and, while
it does relate to 10.5 SP1, it confirms my own (and I think
Warren's) objection to multiple Templates.

I have a major user who, in some departments have two
identical embossers on one floor.

The idea is essentially that if one is busy, they can use
the other.

So, they have for example an E.T. set up as let's say,
"Admin Embosser 1" and "Admin Embosser 2".

Their current problem is that settings keep reverting to
what we now know are "maximum", as opposed to "recommended".

But additionally, some departments will have wide paper on
one, and narrow on the other.

And so the problem is compounded.

I have temporarily got round the initial problem by getting
them to modify the emb.elt file.

However, that does not solve the additional problem.

I accept that the Template solution is "workable", as is the
emb.elt modification.

BUT, and it is a big "BUT", this means going round dozens of
users modifying a file, or adding Templates.

System admins do not like doing this solution.